The Big Yellow Nasty

The Big Yellow Nasty is an antique Coleman cooler that still chills despite decades of travel and abuse. In the spirit of the Nasty, Big Yellow Nasty Wire Services is dedicated to providing a small selection of pop-news that is slightly fresh and more-or-less fit for human consumption.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Fragged!

I've been mpoing around the last couple days about the fact that there's nothing to blog about. Peter Jennings dies. Space shuttle lands safely. It's raining in Phoenix. The best news item since Sunday was Wayne Gretzky's official announcement that he will coach the Phoenix Coyotes.

And while I probably shouldn't talk about work in the personal blog, I can't resist bragging about this. I had the pleasure of being the online sports guy when The Arizona Republic broke the story. That means reporter Dave Vest sent it to me, I put it on the Web, and we sat back while ESPN scrambled to catch up. The original story, which wasn't much beyond saying that sources told the Republic the Great One would make an official announcement Monday, is no longer around, but you can see updated stuff here. Big ups to Dave.

Gretzky gets me fired up. Before he even signed with St. Louis in 1996, a bunch of my friends had bought tickets to a random game, which turned out to be his first home game as a Blue. I really feel like a douche for not going to that game.

The Blues made a great playoff run that year, losing to the Red Wings in double OT in game 7 of the Western Conference Semifinals (had Grant Fuhr stayed healthy, the Blues would have won the Cup). My friend Ben wept openly that night and retired his Gretzky jersey shortly thereafter.

At that point, Gretzky had penetrated my subconscious mind. I had a pretty vivid dream that he was turning down calls from the Vice President of the United States to sit on a park bench at Longacre and tell me that he really wanted to stay in St. Louis.

He didn't stay.

Anyway, that's not the news I decided was totally blogworthy. Check out this story from Reuters:
SEOUL, South Korea (Reuters) -- A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said on Tuesday.
They should put warnings on those video games.

Warning: If you quit your job to facilitate a 50-hour computer game binge, you will die.

The sad thing is he was in an Internet cafe. When I die from a gaming binge, I damn well better be in the comfort of my own home, surrounded by pizza boxes and empty Monster cans.

I can only imagine his headstone will read something like this:
Lee
1977 - 2005
He owned the other team.
Frag master.
Sniper.
m4d sk1llz0rz.
GJP
Coming next blog: sensitivity!

For now, though, I have added a ling to Eric Spratling's blog, which is a quality read, especially if you're into outspoken but funny College Republicans-turned-Army men.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home