The Big Yellow Nasty

The Big Yellow Nasty is an antique Coleman cooler that still chills despite decades of travel and abuse. In the spirit of the Nasty, Big Yellow Nasty Wire Services is dedicated to providing a small selection of pop-news that is slightly fresh and more-or-less fit for human consumption.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Go Dino!

BYN distractions wire

Goofing off at work, I often pop by Busted Tees to check out the funniest T-shirts I can almost afford. Lucky for me, my mom was cool enough to buy me the Speaker City polo for Christmas.

Show us a competitors price and we'll beat it. If we can't beat it, I will give you the keys to the store. Literally.

Today I saw this new shirt, a picture of a Brontosaurus with the words "Never forget." And it reminded me of something I'd forgotten.

Sinclair.


You know, the gas station. The oil company. The one with the Brontosaurus on the sign.

An old buddy of mine once said he was dying for a mesh Sinclair hat with that dinosaur on it.

Well, I don't think that hat exists. Shame on whoever makes Sinclair merchandise. Still, they had good prices on a classic-looking hoodies, T-shirts and girls' baseball shirts.

And if that ain't enough of a waste of your company's time, you can read 50 pages of Sinclair Oil history, and a bonus 2 pages on the history of the Dino. After Sinclair ran a series of ads with different dinosaurs to represent the idea that older crude makes better oil:
But there was a significant and unexpected windfall. One of the dinosaurs generated a remarkable popular appeal, in fact was a real glamour boy: peace-loving but massive apatosaurus. The public equated him with power, endurance and stamina, the prime qualities of Sinclair products.
Beyond all that education, I suddenly realized (while searching ebay listings for "Sinclair dinosaur") that the family on Disney's "Dinosaurs" (coming soon to DVD) were the Sinclairs. Like the gas station. Wow. Only took me 15 years to get that joke.

Anyway, if you're reading this at work, shame on you. If you're writing this at work, shame on me. Click here to read an article on how to stay focused. I kinda skimmed it and quickly lost interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home